Monday, May 16, 2011

Smile (for Keisha)

If there are two things that I almost never do, it would have to be 1) cooking and 2) crying. Yet somehow I managed to end up doing both at the same time....

The sister of my best friend lost her battle against sickle cell this past weekend and it's been hitting me in small sporadic doses.  Utter disbelief doesn't even begin to describe the way I'm feeling right now.  She hadn't even hit 35 yet. And she was a mom. 

They come from a big, very close family and as you can imagine, everyone has been taking it really hard. My friend is the one who usually knows just the right shit to say to someone when they're hurting. She's so good with 'being there' and consoling people. To see her as the person who could use some comforting is...weird. I couldn't take it. Just knowing my friend's hurting so badly and I'm a million miles away just hurts. Our other best friends are there with her, as well as her family so I know she's getting all the comfort she needs, but still.



For as long as I've known her, Keisha's been in and out of the hospital from her sickness. Doctor's didn't expect for her to have too much of a life, it seems.  Of course they were wrong.  She managed to complete college, become a nurse, get married and have TWO children. They tried to say she couldn't have one. She fought hard. She fought so damn hard that I just believed she couldn't be beat. She was hospitalized routinely, especially around holidays and birthdays which sucked because hers was on Valentine's Day. But she always came back.

The most memorable thing about her had to be her laugh. She was one of those people who was ALWAYS happy. Like, stupid happy for no reason at all. Always joking and smiling. Why her? There's plenty of miserable non-smilers that the world could do without (sorry). Why did we have to lose a person that brought light into people's lives? She was such a boss for being able to carry on a normal, successful life despite having an illness that has probably crippled others from doing the same. Her story screams inspiration. It screams strength. It screams empowerment. We need her here to share that story and help others.  Then again, I think she'll be more effective doing that as the angel I'm sure she is :)


Rest In Peace, beautiful

4 comments:

porsha said...

GOD is gettn his garden of angels 2geather n needed our very own.... this is so sweet tho drita proud of u my good woman im going 2 hve 2 let mary c this

mary said...

awe bestie that touch my heart dearly i love u and u said it she was a rare diamond and i didnt no i was ever loose my survivor silly me huh. but good thing i get to see my solider again i know i wish u were here but i still feel u close thanks Dri

andrita said...

no, that^ was sweet :). and what mary wrote was very sweet as well. i love u guys.

andrita said...

oh, i jusy saw ur comment boo! im happy u read it. ur status almost broke me. ur such a tough chick.