Saturday, May 28, 2011

"Me, I'm a cre-a-tor"

One of my favorite things about this city is the random little gems you find unexpectedly while doing your normal routine stuff.  As usual, I was perusing through Soho on some other shit and had to take a breather on the steps of a storefront. When I looked up, this amazing street art was staring back at me. We locked glares for a good five solid minutes. 

There was no salesperson (within eyesight) around the art and there were no people hovering around to buy stuff either. So I just stared.


And stared.
And stared.


Long story short, I finally saw a guy appear out of thin air when this impeccably dressed foreign woman started inquiring about a painting of the Pink Panther. I wanted so badly to just grow some balls and start talking to the dude. But, of course, I didn't....yet.

 I eventually got up enough courage to ask the man if it was okay for me to take pics of the artwork. He told me it wasn't even his shit and when I started taking pics, the guy whose shit it actually was came up to me and started talking. I told him I was a new blogger and I could see his interest in my story plummet so I quickly shit the fuck up, got my pics and found a new place to sit.








The artist said he uses alot of mixed media in his pieces and absolutely no stencils.  Ever.  Then he glided away on his skateboard. Something like a boss, right? Fuck, I wish I were an artist.  He can be reached at ohwhenjones@gmail.com for more information.



1 comment:

Owen Jones said...

Hey there! So as of yesterday I have an iPhone hence being a total weirdo and googling Ohwhenjones lol. Sure enough I found this and I'm hyped!! Thanks for shooting some flicks and come by again to talk hang out or whatever! Hope all is well in your world and hope to hear from you soon!!!!
Cheers
Owen