Monday, October 10, 2011

Anthony T Scott SS 2012 at NYFW

Here's the scoop on the first show I did for NYFW SS 2012.

I actually do not remember where I found the ad, but somehow I applied to do hair for the Anthony T Scott show.  To my surprise, they actually wanted me.  Scott (or Anthony) sent me a preview of the collection and I was super excited because it was like, serious fashion.

So on the day of, I was decked in all black and ready to take over.  I got to the location which was a show space on the second or third floor of some building near Union Square.  The place was huge, by NYC standards at least. I looked around for someone who may have been in charge and was immediately approached by this GORGEOUS blonde guy.  I stated my purpose, that I was here to do hair for the designer Scott's show.  He extended his hand and said, I'm Scott. I then fell in love a little.

He told me that 'hair' was in the back and guided me over.  To my surprise, there were like 10 other chicks in all black fussing around with combs and brushes.  It was then realized that I would be ASSISTING, not actually really styling. That was kinda cool, except for the fact that I had brought my thousand pound bag of tools for no reason.

I was introduced to the head hair lady. She was a redhead with a serious long bob. The other girls were either assistants or make up bitches ;).  At first, I didn't know the other girls were assistants.  They had that hair stylist 'look' and they moved with alot of confidence.  It wasn't until long after we'd soaked the models with spray gel and scultped figure eights on their domes that I got the juice.  The girls were stylist's assistants at the salon I thought I'd KILL to work at, Tommy Guns.  One of the owners, I believe, does thee most insane editorial shit and the salon looks like fucking Sweeney Todd or something. Mad vintage. Super Dope.

So immediately, I was like, damn.  Then as they were talking and talking and talking, I realized that I was doing exactly what I wanted to do. I'm not married to some predetermined schedule, a slave to the shampoo bowl.  I dont have to be someones bitch for two years to see IF they think I'm good enough to have my own spot. Seriously, when I came to NY I was prepared to do that for the right salon (Tommy Guns), but from my experiences thus far, I have had such a blast just doing this freelance that I wouldn't be mad one bit if I never spend a day behind the chair. When I was in beauty school and my clients would ask me what I planned to do when I graduated, I always said two things: 1) move to New York and 2) do editorial and runway hair....

And thats how I know I'm on the right track :)








here is the source from the show

No comments: