Tuesday, March 22, 2011

C'mon let your colours burst!

Don't you just love it when you actually DO the things you say that you wanna do? I swear its like a pat on the ass, "Good job, self!"

Last Friday I put my money where my mouth is and got my septum pierced.  I was scared shitless but I felt like I HAD to/NEEDED to do it.  I had been talking about it for ages to the point where even my boss was like, "dude, wtf? when are u doing it already?" (well, she ain't really say all that, but she she implied it). I had asked everyones opinion (which actually didn't even matter) what they thought about it and despite the overwhelming NO YOU'RE GONNA LOOK LIKE AN ANIMAL responses I got, I decided it was crucial to go through with it.

I was gonna go out to Queens to this little cheapie spot on Jamaica Ave but, well, thats like going to the other side of the universe from Brooklyn, so I Googled it, naturally.  About .20 seconds later, I found the perfect place.

I saw the website for Maria Tash's Soho shop and it looked too legit to quit. It had all this talk about 'celebrity clients' and the price for what I wanted done was only $30. And it was in Soho. So hoe, I went in.
The place looked like a high end jewelry store, with chandeliers, glass cases, and white walls. I thought I was in the wrong place.  Then I peeped the artwork of some blonde chicks snorting diamonds, and the salesperson had these sick dermals on his arms and a straight bar through his septum. I also saw a thick binder full of pictures of the owner with all of her celeb clients (Uma Thurman, Christina, Britney, Jessica Alba, Penelope Cruz, etc). Then I was all, 'Aiiight, I guess I'll stay'.

The salesperson approached me and I asked him to give me some info on septum piercing, right? Well, of course I had to be all dramatical and whatnot so I told the guy how I was scared off my ass that there would be some freak accident and I'd bleed to death. I kept to myself that I also feared I'd lose my sense of smell kinda like people who get their boobs done and lose feeling in their nipples. He assured me that I'd be fine and started showing me thee most bossiest septum rings (?) I could've imagined. The cutest ones were like full circles with stones all around them. Bet bitches wouldn't say I looked like a bull with this shit right here! I was all set. Piercing itself was thirty and by this time I had already figured out that I'd have to pay for the jewlry seperately. Cool. How much is my lil bling gonna run me? I shouldn't really go over $30, but you know, this is my FACE we're talking about. And the salesguy kept reiterating it'd better be something I love
cuz I'd have to live with it for two months blah, blah, blah.....

"Those start at about $250"

Silencio.

This kid starts talking diamonds and silvers and shit while I'm standing there like I blew a bubble and someone literally pulled out a pin and popped it. Eff it, in my head I had imagined leaving out with the regular bull-looking ring anyways. He showed me the lil bitch ass plain ones and $40 later I was ready to check out. After they conned me into buying some magic saline wipes and tipping my piercer before I even met them, I was out of damn near $100. I should've took my arse to Queens.

They sent me up this narrow staircase that lead to one sofa and two doors. There were a few people ahead of me as well as people in the rooms behind those two doors. I waited for an eternity. I had talked myself in and out of going through with it maybe a hundred million times. I had made a game of guessing who was getting what pierced and who was just there for support.  I had no support, of course ('cuz I'm a boss lol) but one of the girls in front of me brought a supporter who almost vomited on my Chuckers due to nausea. Can you say FAIL? There was also a lady there who was getting 'IT' pierced. I figured it out because she had on this dress that was just too awkward for a warm, NYC evening at a piercing place. That, and well, the piercer lady came and told me how she can't get my jewelry from the one room because there was a genital piercing getting done. I also heard some girls down the stairs talking about when they got their 'IT's done.  I guess thats what all the cool kids are doing these days.

Finally the doors opened, the freaky lady left and it was my turn. Thank goodness the piercer I got was a little hottie. Within minutes I was on my back (#pause) and I remember repeating to myself, "You better not fucking cry!".  I kept my eyes closed through the entire thing. Had I seen what he was planning on doing to me, I probably would've ran. Most of it was actually painless- except for the part that was excruciatingly painful. I was fine until he told me to take a deeeeep breath. I ain't no fool. I knew what that shit meant. Luckily, that part only lasted long enough for me to say "Oh, Shit!" and he was done. I didn't even have enough time to really curse myself out for doing such an idiotic, pointless, impulsive thing to my mug. Thank God.

I was in complete aftershock for the entire rest of the day. It felt like every mirror I looked into was lying to me. I was in utter disbelief. I've had my nose pierced before but it was the normal Tupac one :). Immediately I had feelings of "Why did I do this?" and then I grew to love it. With this one, I was on the fence for about two days. Now, I am inlovedotcom. That first day, a few folks had some slick shit to say and I'm not gonna front, I was feeling some kind of way about it. Then, this girl who was 100% AGAINST me getting it said to me, "It looks really cute....That is so YOU!!!..." and just like that I remembered....

I'm a fucking FIREWORK!*!*!*!

Doing the things that I want to do is what I do best. Letting other people's bullshit issues/norms/insecurities rub off on me is sooo late. My life right now revolves around change as well as my pursuit of self and happiness. That's really all that matters.




p.s. pray you never have to be around me when this song comes on. you won't recognize the white girl I morphe into lol

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So basically you didn't like it until you got approval from a girl who didn't think you should get it? I think it's nice on you!