Monday, October 25, 2010

Better Late Than Never

I was doing my usual blog surfing and I came across a new one that I enjoyed enough to manage to get to page 18, and saw this:




It is a photo of Pakistani babies and their current living conditions, which resulted from the floods that happened back in July. I was walking down 42nd one day and this guy stopped me and was asking for donations for a nonprofit ( I believe it was feedthechildren.org). He asked me if I had heard of the floodings and proceeded to tell me some of the same things that this blogger is speaking of. Cliff notes version for the a.d.h.d crowd:


About 20% of the country is underwater

If you add the amount of people victimized by the Haitian earthquake, Hurricane Katrina, and that major tsunami that happened back in 04, combined, they do not outnumber those affected by the Pakistani floods.

and most importantly,

no one seems to give a flying you know what about it.

Other than the guy on the street and this girl (im guessing) on her blog, I havent heard zilch about this natural disaster. The blogger goes on to insinuate that the reason is linked to the systematic discrimation/hatred for the Muslim community since 9/11. And Im thinking she may be right.

This photo kind of drove the message home a bit for me. I feel like I keep finding out about things that I absolutely cannot understand why they are going on in todays society. With all of the technological and social advancements that we have readily available at our fingertips, things like this appall me.

The blogger also makes the point that the hatred and resentment that people still hold from 911 should be directed towards the fundamental extremists who commited those acts and not the Muslim religion as a whole. Such a simple concept yet many folks cant seem to grasp it. I also JUST decided to get more information on that whole 'Qu'ran Burning' hoopla that actually DID get alot of press recently. I didnt take much notice of it when it was actually happening, but so what. Im interested now and I have two cents I'd like to share with you about it.

So this pastor and his church decide that America "as a whole" doesnt want that Islamic Center to be built near Ground Zero. In order to get the center either shut down completely, or at least relocated, he arranges a protest at which "Korans" will be burned. The symbolism alone in that pisses me off. Pardon me for going on the deep end here, but people like the organizers of this 9.11.10 'Koran Burning Protest' disgust me. They give Christianity a bad name and I would even go as far as to say that they are the ones who turn people away from the church and quite possibly to atheism. You cannot fight hate with hate. No one wins. I thought we learned that lesson already. Guess not.


Donatations are being accepted by UNICEF, RedCross and the UN Foundation for the Pakistani flooding. Do something.

No comments: