Tuesday, July 9, 2013

"You think the way you live is okay...."





Vogue Italia: Why are you so comfortable, being so non-conformist, in an industry that requires so much conformity, at least from the people behind the scenes?

Lysa Cooper: I think the very important thing that works to my advantage, and sometimes my disadvantage, is that I’m not out to make friends. I’ve got plenty of other friends. I like to keep it really professional. I don’t hang out. I don’t go to little dinners. I don’t “kiki.” None of that. And I think, for a lot of people, they want me to entourage it up for free. I’m not interested. Hence, it’s better to work with people you don’t really know. You don’t have to waste your time trying to be best friends. I don’t have enough time to be circle jerking all over the place. For what? They’re all going to fuck you over eventually. It’s true. Ask anybody who’s had a long-standing relationship. I mean, Tom Cruise is the only one who has been able to maintain the same glam squad. [Keeping] the same people around them. But most people, just want to be more fabulous. But the thing to remember is that, just like ex-boyfriends, they always come back. And when they do, you’re twice as expensive. That’s the God’s honest truth.

I thought I was just a freak of nature in that I don't really care to be 'of' the industry that much. I love being in it, but Im not with all the politics that come along with it. My natural introverted-ness doesn't always allow for me to be like other hair stylists/ makeup artists/ stylists/photographers, etc.  I'm so not the life of the party and I prefer it that way.  I'm not a brown nosing kiss-ass either.  I love what I do, and frankly, I just want to do that and get the fuck on.  

What I've started to notice, however, is that relationships are crucial in the quest for success in this industry.  Establishing kinship with other artists can singlehandedly and painlessly advance your career. But for a person who isn't necessarily a mingler, this can be a barrier.

One of my guys have been trying to drill into my head the idea of being "present". Not just in a stay-off-your-work-on-set kinda way, but literally BE PRESENT.  And it doesn't mean that you have to be in peoples faces or put on a show. Just simply show that you are there through your work ethics and mannerisms.

That, I can do.

Playing 'BFF' with people only to manipulate yourself into a certain circle,or  get/ keep a new client or anything like that is so lame.  And you're probably opening yourself to being treated in the exact same fashion at a later point or other situation in life.

That's why I love this lady.  She's clearly not here for the bollocks. I can appreciate that.  Maybe it's come from age and experience but its nice to see that SOMEONE made it to the top without having to compromise themselves completely.

Do not get me wrong, I have met alot of amazing, inspiring, down to earth people on jobs and I've even befriended a few.  I'm all for kindred spirits connecting and new friendships forming...as long as they are genuine and not of the 'how can I benefit from this' sort.

That is all.

No comments: